Monday, November 10, 2008

What's the point anyway?

Today the lonely life of a high school teacher was in full play. We offered a full day for parents and teachers to get together and talk about how their children are such angels or lack there of. The only thing missing was the parents!
I felt like the Maytag repair man today. Out of all the students that I teach, I only saw 3 parents the WHOLE day! And to top it off, it was parents of some of my best students too! So whats the point? Is there a law that states we have to offer Teacher conference days to parents? Is it a law to have teachers restricted to their classrooms all day long, not allowed to wander around and visit colleagues so that they not miss the rare parent wandering the building. We have been so programmed to not leave our rooms that they will actually page us over the intercom to let everyone else know you are not where you are supposed to be and are actually not bored!
So what did I do? I worked on the school website, took a picture for school/community promotion and tried to assist our band director with some pictures. Amazingly, the day went by rather fast. I am not really sure why either, but neither am I complaining!
I love what I do with the exception of a few things. Paperwork and rude students are at the top of the list but today was right up there that just seemed like a waist of time and money!

No comments:

Archives